Drawing Paper

Recently at college we started another 2 day project the aim of which was to make a series of drawings that explore the play of light and shape on an abstracted detail of folded paper using a variety of methods and drawing media. To start with we had to fold three long pieces of paper to create three different letters. Then using chosen scale and plot and measure we had to draw our letters.

With the first letter (I decided to use P) we had to show the contrast between the different parts of the letter using the weight of line so the line would be darker where there is a stronger contrast and almost invisible where there is not much contrast.. The second letter (G) was all about shading and so it was my favourite one. In this case however we were allowed to use only shading and no outlines.While I was working on this letter I realized that  blending tool is one of my best friends.It really helped my to create this drawing. The third letter(G again)..or actually only half of it. that I created that day was made of my initials (GS). The interesting point of this technique was that we were not allowed to change the weight of our initials so we had to keep our pencils nice and sharp all the time. The shading that we created had to be made  solely by letters overlapping eachother..and I think I completed this task pretty well!

Advertisements

Graphic design – Shipping forecast (week 2) – Media experimantation

Recently I promised to write about our second mini project for graphics so, here we go!!

Our starting point was the same as the week before: Shipping forecast for a random shipping location. This time however we were asked to experiment with whatever methods we want to create our designs and so our creativity wasn’t limited to a computer design. Yep, I know it sounds Exciting!

MalinThe shipping forecast for Malin:

Wind: northwesterly 5 to 7.

Sea State: rough or very rough.

Weather: squally showers.

Visibility: moderate or good.

At first I wanted to design a poster using InDesign and then work on it with pen but when I created the first design on computer I decided to change my strategy and be more experimental. So, on the right you can see the first design that  I created that day, before I decided to change my way of working:

In my next designs I decided to use only a part of the shipping forecast rather than the whole text and I ended up with a short: “Malin squally showers” I then begun to think about how I can arrange the letters to make them visually express their meaning. I still decided to use InDesign to create the initial arrangement of the text. I then experimented with different methods and here are some examples of what I created:

I also used one spare copy of my design and cut out the letters to create a stencil. I didn’t like the effect that much but I decided to do some further experimentation using the letters I cut out. As it was raining at the time a had a perfect opportunity to use a wet ground as the background for my letters and I think I managed to create some interesting designs.

So here is the design created using stencil (the one that didn’t work too well)Experimenting

..and these are the photographs I took outside:

I know, they look awesome!..but putting them on the wet ground was a disaster as they kept rolling up! Before I managed to do anything I ended up with a pile of letters that looked pretty much like that:..it probably wouldn’t be that bad if not the fact that it was raining, my umbrella was heavy, my camera was running out of battery..and I also had to keep it clean and dry which was really difficult since my hands were covered in mud…uff

Oh yes! While I was putting the letters on the ground, another of my ideas was getting wet on the road (purposely of course). While I was still in the classroom I quickly painted one of the spare copies of the design with the quink ink as I was curious what effect I can achieve if I put it outside, on the muddy road on this rainy day. And hey! I did it purely out of curiosity but it turned out to work quite well!..And I also have one of the works that I created by accident when I crumbled a spare wet copy of my design..which was also covered in mud as I kept my letters on it after I used them!.. I know I shouldn’t make this post any longer..but just have a look okay!

So, that’s it for now! I hoped you liked it and look forward to my next post!:)