Printed textiles

The two-day printed textiles project was one of those projects where we could be as experimental as we want which means that for me it was very interesting and enjoyable. The aim of it was to produce a map that would lead for Christopher Columbus  to the New World. We experimented with three different screen printing techniques that we could then use to make our map.

First technique was Polychromatic screen printing which is when you paint whatever you want to print directly onto the silk screen. (The colours in this technique are very vivid so its important to remember that if you want lighter colours you need to use water to paint the screen first). Once the design is on the screen you wait for it to dry and then use a binder to print it on the fabric.

Second technique was Stencil printing for which we had to design and make a stencil. To print using this technique you have to masking tape the stencil onto the middle of the silk screen and then put the newspaper around it so the ink will only go through the stencil.

Third  technique was Photographic printing which allows you to print more detailed designs and you can print as many copies as you want since the design is created permanently on the screen. The design can be created on computer and it is important to remember that the machine that puts the design on the screen recognizes only black and white colour so our design shouldn’t have any colors or shading but only strong shapes. Below I included some of the experiments that I created that day so i hope you like them!:)

Advertisements

Navigational instruments

Some time ago at college I had the opportunity to do some metal work which to my surprise I really enjoyed. For this project we were looking at navigational instruments and we were asked to design and create our own navigational instrument using either aluminium, copper or brass.  After we covered the basics of how to work with metal and how to safely use the tools that we were given we were asked to experiment with as many different ways of working with metal as  we can. My final outcome of this project was a compass-necklace that I designed and made using copper..and one black button.

Quink ink

Recently, while I was looking through my photo gallery  I found some interesting photographs that I took some time ago during shipping forecast project. For this project  I was using quite a lot of quink ink and every time I had too much ink on the paintbrush I was drying it with a tissue and unconsciously I created these blue and yellow/orange abstract shapes (even though I was using black ink.) that in my opinion look just awesome especially when the photograph is changed into black and white image. Well, I think it might be worthwhile to use this idea to do some further experimentation. So I hope you like it and look forward to see the outcome!

sdc16739